June 15, 2002
to Breaking 100
B y: Duncan Barr
Throughout our golfing career, we have all, at one
stage or another classed ourselves as a Hacker, hell
lets face the facts, there are some golfers that will
always be hackers. But no matter how much of a hacker
you are, there is always that one big challenge, that
one major hurdle to overcome - breaking the big 3 digits.
Here's our Hackers Guide to Breaking 100!
- If your already 25 over the card after 7 holes, dont
worry there is always your adjusted score!
- Concentrate on your game but dont think about
- For all you hackers out there, never count up your
score on the 17th hole and tell yourself you need a
double bogey or less to break 100, chances are, you
- Always carry enough balls in your bag, there is nothing
worse than running out of balls when you have a chance
to break 100!
- If you miss the ball 3 times off the first tee, its
not all over, remember there are still 17 more holes
- Try and play with a better golfer than yourself, youll
obviously chop the first hole but things will come right
when you watch how he/she plays the game.
- For all you superstitious hackers out there dont
put the mockers on yourself. Whatever you do, dont
talk about the way you are playing. For example, dont
say Oh Im hitting my driver well today
chances are that you will not hit another good shot
with that club for the rest of the round/life.
- Early on in your round, always hit about two clubs
bigger than you would normally. This way your embarrassing
fat shots will still make the green.
- Always purchase balls with maximum distance and minium
spin. You need all the help you can get!
- Try and cut out the 4 putts, if you can average 2
putts on every green you are well on track to break
the big 100.
- Try and stay out of trouble. The worst thing that
can happen to any golfer is getting caught in a bunker
which you just can't get out of, or continuously hitting
the ball into the water. Try to avoid the 'blow out
holes' by concentrating on hitting the ball down the
middle of the fairway every time.
- If you have a slice, aim left, if you hook aim right,
this way it will look like you were trying to hook or
cut on purpose, which can only help your confidence.
- Don't get into the situation when you are holding
up 80 players behind you, walk quickly to your ball,
and then take time over your shot, you will find this
will help relax you when you play - the last thing you
want is to get yelled out when you are so close to breaking
- Finally, Don't Cheat. It will feel a lot better if
you do it the right way, rather than go through life
living a lie. Keep trying and one day, somewhere along
the line, that 2 digit score will come.
Article courtesy of Duncan Barr of